hamilton, new zealand.



so the last time we were in new zealand a few months ago, jon announced from stage that switchfoot would be playing parachute festival, so here we are.

we arrived in auckland and drove about 2 hours south to hamilton where the festival is at. the drive brought us all back to california because it felt a whole lot like the drive up the 101 towards mid-cal. we were then brought back to our kiwi reality when we saw thousands of sheep roaming the fields. apparently there's a lot of sheep here. like, a LOT.

soundcheck, a few other bands play, then switchfoot.

the show tonight was pretty crazy. the guys headlined the festival that night and played to about 30,000 people, which was awesome.

the next day, the guys did a whole lot of new zealand press and jon ended up doing a last minute solo show at this stage called the 'white elephant' stage. this room was pretty amazing. it was complete with these insane wood panels and big white elephants hanging from the ceiling. i think the look of the room coupled with jon's playing one of my favorite songs he's written to date ('your love is strong', when it goes up to that c#m it kills me) made it one of the most memorable moments from this trip so far.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous says

    When you said that white elephants were everywhere, i took it literally.


    Anonymous says

    WOW! You guys were amazing, I was right up the front getting killed in the mosh pit! Jon - yr set in the WES was simply amazing, Keep up your amazing work and please return and play Parachute 2010!


    Anonymous says

    Cool! You guys went to New Zealand!
    Sweetness. I wish I could be a rockstar. I already play guitar but I wanna buy an electric one.


    Anonymous says

    Cool! You guys went to New Zealand!
    Sweetness. I wish I could be a rockstar. I already play guitar but I wanna buy an electric one.


    Anonymous says

    Cool! You guys went to New Zealand!
    Sweetness. I wish I could be a rockstar. I already play guitar but I wanna buy an electric one.


    freedomfightergirl says

    i was right up the front too... that was one of the best nights of my life :D and thank you Jon for playing at the White Elephant, please come to NZ on your solo tour!!


    Anonymous says

    yea i had to sacfrice the encore in order to get ur guy's signatures on my poster but it was worth meeting u guys, i was the guy with the von zipper rainbow hat that u guys liked lol


    Anonymous says

    Your Love Is Strong..... ahh amazing! I really hope that makes the next SF album or an EP. Definitely one of my favorite songs!


    Anonymous says

    Radness. From the looks of it sounds like you guys had an amazing time out there in NZ. Oh and loving the photos Andy.


    Anonymous says

    The Saturday night show and Jon's bit at the White Elephant were by far the best shows I've ever been to. Oh and getting a photo with Jon was by far the highlight of my year! YAY! Thanks so much for coming to New Zealand. Come again soon, you guys are freaking legends!


    Anonymous says

    yuns are amazing, hope to see you back in new zealand again soon!!!!
    Yay hamilton!!!! I live there!!
    theres like more sheep then poeple lol... umm yeah have fun and come back aye!!!!